(Download printable self test)
1. Muscles are the ________________ tissues that bring about the movement of and within the body.
2. ____________, or skeletal, muscle forms the bulk of the body’s muscle tissue and gives the body its general shape.
3. The fibers that make up skeletal muscles have alternate light and dark cross bands called ___________.
4. _________________ muscles, such as those in your arms and legs, are under conscious control, and contract only when your brain tells them to contract.
5. Muscles move the body only by __________.
6. Smooth muscle lines the blood vessels, hair follicles, urinary tract, digestive tract, and genital tract.
True or False?
7. Smooth muscles speed of contraction is slower than that of striated muscle, but it can remain ____________ longer.
8. __________ muscles, such as those that are in your heart and digestive tract, normally function without your conscious control or awareness.
9. ___________ muscle is a mix of the qualities of both striated and smooth muscles.
10. Most skeletal muscles are attached to the skeleton by means of __________.
11. Striated muscle is usually considered __________.
12. Match the location of the muscle to its name:
___ dominates the upper back a. pectorals
___ big muscle on the back of the thigh b. trapezius
___ widens the nose c. hamstring
___ the chest muscle d. nasalis
Place the next three facts in order by putting “1″, “2″, and “3″ in the blanks (read all statements first):
13. ___ Muscle fibers strengthen, blood vessels grow more branches.
14. ___ Muscles are exercised.
15. ___ Muscle fibers grow thicker.
End of test.
VIEW ANSWER KEY or Return to High School Health.